- Word 2007: Click on the Office icon and select "Word Options."
- Word 2010/2013/2016: Click on the File ribbon and select "Options."
- Click on "Add-ins."
- Change the "Manage" options to "Disabled Items."
- Click Go.
- Highlight any EndNote item(s) and click "Enable."
- Click OK/Enable.
- Restart Word.
For Mac Users
If you are using Word 2011, make sure you have installed EndNote 20 on your computer. If EndNote 20 menu didn’t appear under Tools, do the followings:
- Close Word application
- Open EndNote and select Customizer from the EndNote menu.
- Check the box in front of the Cite While You Write option.
- Click next until the Customizer is finished.
- Open an EndNote Library and then open Word and check the Tools menu for the EndNote submenu.