Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
To move your EndNote Library to another location, you need to first compress the original EndNote Library or Groups of the Library you want to move.
Step 1: Compress your EndNote Library file:
- Open the EndNote Library.
- From the "File" menu, select "Compressed Library (.enlx)" for PC and Mac.
- Name the EndNote Compressed Library.
- Create or Save the Library to create a zip file (filename.enlx).
Step 2: Move the compressed file to the second computer:
- Option 1: Email the zip file to yourself.
- Option 2: Use cloud storage service such as OneDrive if the zip file is too big to email.
- Option 3: Transport the zip file using a flash drive.
Step 3: Restore the compressed library file:
- Option 1: Open the compressed EndNote Library (filename.enlx).
- Option 2: Double click the compressed EndNote Library (filename.enlx).
- This will extract the compressed library into a regular EndNote Library.
Note that: An EndNote Library is composed of .enl file and its associated .Data folder. The compressed library will contain both files and is good to back up your library or send a copy to yourself or share it with a colleague.