To move your EndNote Library to another location, the best practice is to first compress the EndNote Library or Groups of the Library you desired to move.
Step 1: Compress your EndNote Library file:
- Open the EndNote Library.
- From the "File" menu, select "Compressed Library (.enlx)" for PC and Mac.
- Name the EndNote Compressed Library.
- Create or Save the Library to create a zip file (filename.enlx).
Step 2: Move the compressed file to the second computer:
- Option 1: Email the zip file to yourself.
- Option 2: Use cloud storage service such as Xythos if the zip file is too big to email.
- Option 3: Transport the zip file using a flash drive.
Step 3: Restore the compressed library file:
- Option 1: Open the compressed EndNote Library (filename.enlx).
- Option 2: Double click the compressed EndNote Library (filename.enlx).
- This will extract the compressed library into a regular EndNote Library.
Note that: An EndNote Library is composed of .enl file and its associated .Data folder. The compressed library will contain both files and is good to back up your library or send a copy to yourself or share it with a colleague.